Brasília is the capital of Brazil and is designed and build within 4 years. Urban planner Lucio Costa, architect Oscar Niemeyer and landscape architect Burle Marx, commissioned by President Juscelino Kubitschek, created the inland capital of Brasília, which was inaugurated on April 21st, 1960. Seen from above, Brasília looks like an aeroplane or a bow and arrow.
Because of its unique design and the architecture Brasília is under protection of the UNESCO s World Heritage.
The architecture must truly be seen to be believed. Buildings like the Alvorada Palace, the Metropolitan Cathedral or the National Congress are of an unusual but harmonious design.
Facts about Brasilia
- With over 2.5 million inhabitants, Brasília is the fourth most populous city in Brazil.
- Brasília is one of the units of the Federal District, which, recall, is divided into administrative regions (which is equivalent to counties). The best-known administrative regions are: Gama, Planaltina , Wansbeck, Ceilândia , Sobradinho and Paranoá.
- Brasilia hosts 124 foreign embassies.
- Brasilienses are also often called by the nickname candangos.
- The inauguration of the new capital was hailed by then- Pope John XXIII through the radio.
- In its early days, Brasilia attracted scores of tourists who come by bus from various parts of the country, wanted to meet the new capital.
- The architectural designs of Oscar Niemeyer attract thousands of tourists to the capital each year.
- Data for the year 2000 indicated that more than half the population of Brasília was formed by immigrants, most brasilienses were not born there.
- Between the sister cities of Brasilia are Washington (United States) , Buenos Aires (Argentina), Lisbon (Portugal), Doha (Qatar), Rome (Italy), Lima (Peru), Santiago (Chile), Sydney (Australia) and Berlin (Germany).
- The Pilot Plan of Brasilia was next to Olinda and Ouro Preto, Rio de Janeiro as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Brasilia is located 1,000 meters above sea level, on a flat region known as Planalto Central.
- The Esplanade of Ministries consists of 17 buildings.
- The Cathedral of Brasilia, the main Catholic church is called, in fact, Catedral Metropolitana Nossa Senhora Aparecida.