Pousada Aguape has been run by the same family for some 150 years. Since 1989 it has diversified its activities, continuing with cattle but starting to work with ecological tourism and fishing, it is also taking part in other projects such as Hyacinth Macaw project and Organic Veal.
Located in a rich area formed by typical wetland vegetation and open pastures with patches of stunted vegetation (cerrado), lakes, lowlands, pond outlets and the Aquidauana River with its exuberant gallery forest.
Visitors are welcome throughout the year, during the rain or dry season. This is an excellent environment for birdwatchers (over 300 species have been listed). And more, at Aguapé the guest can wake up with the song of birds and also can milk the cows early in the morning, with the sunrise. There is nothing more beautiful and impressive than to see the sunrise and the sunset in Pantanal!
• 15 apartments with air-conditioning, ceiling fans and private bathroom with hot water (02 rooms are handicap-accessible);
• Total capacity - 45 people;
• Swimming pool;
• Meeting room (capacity = 50);
• Sand volleyball court;
• Hammocks area;
• Thatched-roof kiosks to relax;
• Internet access;
• Air strip for small planes (S) South 20º 5' 40.0" - (W) West 055º 57' 52,6";
• Souvenir store;
• Living room with TV;
• Games room;
At Aguapé Lodge, breakfast, lunch and dinner follow the regional tradition: typical dishes, meats, fish, breads, cheese and sweets all made with care in our kitchen. Fresh cheese, yogurt, cakes and sweets are made with products of the farm and this gives a special taste to the food.
And the typical food like cheese bread, rice with dry meat, piranha soup, Paraguayan soup, rice with chicken and pasta with dry meat help you learn a little bit more about the culture and habits of the people from Pantanal.
- All tours are conducted by the unique landscapes, but the horse is one of the main attractions of the inn Aguapé, it is the best way to explore the swamp.
Riding through its open fields, marshes, caápões, ridges, streams and bays, we encounter a rich variety of lush flora and fauna, typical of a region well preserved. The horses are quiet, which means that even those who have never ridden a horse can do this ride. There are several tracks with shorter or longer routes, which can be made in both the floods and dry seasons, always with experienced local guides.
- The boat tour is the best way to get to know the Aquidauana River and the beauty and exuberance of its gallery forest. It is the natural habitat of birds, mammals and reptiles that lie out on river banks or simply hear the songs of the birds.
- Trekking is done in dense bush, open fields and gallery forest. It’s in this tour that you will have a better contact with the flora and fauna of the region learning about their function and importance in Pantanal ecosystem. It is a good opportunity to see the animals more closely. There are different routes that you can go on that take between 1h30 to 04h00.
- The piranha fishing is made in a bay of Aquidauana River, that it is located near the lodge. The piranha is mainly used to prepare a typical dish of the region, piranha soup. It is also good way to see the caimans who watch the fishers to steal their piranhas.
- The photo safari is done in a 4x4 open vehicle. This tour gives the opportunity to cover more territory of the farm going through different landscapes like cerrado (patches of stunted vegetation), open grasslands, “vazantes” (low-lying areas that are often seasonally flooded), “brejos” (swamps) and bays which are permanently flooded areas.
- The night safari is done in a 4X4 vehicle or in a boat, to observe the night animals like anteaters, foxes, capybaras and caimans. Also to hear the sounds of frogs and insects at night and to see the beautiful sky of the Pantanal.
- During the morning or afternoon, you can accompany the cowboys in their work routine with the cattle. Move the cattle to other parts of the farm (cattle drive), take care of the calves or see the cowboys working at the corral. It is also a good opportunity to learn a little bit more about the culture and habits of the people from Pantanal.