You have arrived at nature's paradise, where water and earth become variegated tiles holding the secrets of natures endless cycles. Come dive in Rio Negro's dark and mysterious waters. Watch the cheerful flight of hyacinth, blue-and-yellow and red-and-green macaws. Feel the force of the howler monkey's roar and share our passion for nature as the essence of life.
On Barranco Alto Farm you will have the rare opportunity to witness the morning fishing of a giant otter family as dawn breaks, observe the ritual of alligator mating and, with luck and patience, to look into the eyes of the biggest cat of the Americas: the jaguar.
Besides this, you can live the day-to-day life of an authentic Pantanal cowboy, savour typical local dishes and sleep in a traditional house which offers all the necessary comforts for a cozy and unforgettable stay.
Understanding the mysteries of nature helps us develop a more ecologically correct - eco friendly attitude towards the environment and as such leads to a better conservation of it.
The programs and activities that are offered are guided by us in Portuguese, English, German, French and Spanish and will be adapted to suit the particular desires of each guest.
The fazenda offers 05 apartments and all are comfortable and equipped with private bathroom and air conditioning. Due to the restricted number of rooms, we recommend that you make your reservations well in advance.
These are some of our activities on Fazenda Barranco Alto:
• Riding: find the horse you always dreamed of! Our horses are working horses, they are well trained and there are plenty of them. Have a more detailed look at this dedicated page: Riding in the Pantanal
• Birdwatching: even for non-birders this is an attractive activity because we have dozens of spectacular birds like macaws, parrots and raptors. Have a more detailed look at this dedicated page: Birding in the Pantanal
• Open Vehicle Safari: enjoy the scenery and spot the wildlife from our comfortable custom-built Toyota Landcruiser.
• Hiking: walk along with a guide or by yourself through forest, meadows and along the waters. A very recommended way of approaching closely to the wildlife.
• Canoeing: paddle on the dark waters of the most pristine river in the Pantanal, the rio Negro. Meet giant otters, birds, capybaras and with some luck even jaguars, roughly 60% of the sightings are made from canoes in silence.
• Boating: explore the river from a comfortable boat with swivel seats excellent for photography. We use silent electric engines and environment friendly Yamaha 15hp 4-stroke gas engines.
• Fishing: success guaranteed even for beginners ! Try to catch a dorado, pacu or pintado. Catfishes, piranhas or cichlids, the water is full of fish. We also have fly-fishing tackle.
• Campfires: after a long afternoon full of new sightings enjoy the delicious meals cooked on open fires, listen to local stories and sing under the stars ...
• Photography: only a few places on earth rival with the Pantanal in photography opportunities. Everywhere there's something from a tiny little velvet ant, over a hyacinth macaw to a roaring jaguar, breath-taking pictures are a certitude. Several professional photographers like Olivier Grunewald or Art Wolfe and have chosen this place for some of their work.
• Beach Chill-out: why not just hang-out on pristine beaches where only caymans will be watching you and your cold drink ?!
• Cattle mustering: since Fazenda Barranco Alto is still a functional and traditional organic beef cattle ranch, you will find real cowboys and real working-horses on their daily work. And if this is your interest, join the on a typical work.
• Astronomy: hundreds of kilometers away from any bigger city, you will find an amazing detailed sky. See the milky-way in a brightness you haven't seen before. See the zodiacal light, the gegenschein, Jupiter's moons and much more. We have good books, a Celestron C-8 telescope and appropriate computer software.